Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Chapter 14

My position as a twenty-year old white female in upper middle class America absolutely shapes the way I look at everything, including society, identity, and culture.  For example, when I see the picture of the woman with the ten or twelve dirty children, unconscious on the floor, my first reaction is anger.  My second is wondering whether she has heard of birth control?  However, that opinion comes from a woman who believes that every child deserves to be cared for and loved.  I am also a woman who can easily gain access to a birth control, whereas in a third world country perhaps having ten children sleep on the floor is the norm?  "Every photo is accurate, but it is not truth."  I like this.  As someone who takes many pictures and is tagged in many on Facebook, every photo does tell the story of a moment.  This moment may not tell a correct story, but it was a moment.  As a naive girl, war also just turns me off.  I have never really been involved in discussions about it or watched the many news broadcasts about it.  I have been sheltered.  I know that it is necessary, but the thought of it makes me sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment